If the weathers fine, enjoy this classic meal at the beach, in the park, or just in your backyard.
The ingredient of Best-ever fish and chips
- 4 large pontiac potatoes, peeled, cut lengthways into 1cm-thick chips
- 185g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 330ml lager
- Sunflower oil, to deep-fry
- 800g skinless flathead fillets, halved into long strips if necessary
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Iceberg lettuce wedges, to serve
The instruction how to make Best-ever fish and chips
- Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil over high heat. Add chips and return to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes or until just tender. Drain well and spread on paper towel to dry completely.
- Meanwhile, whisk flour, lager and 2 teaspoons salt in a bowl until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Half-fill a deep-fryer or large heavybased saucepan with oil and heat to 160u00b0C. Fry the chips, in batches, for 5-7 minutes until soft but still pale, then drain. Chips can be prepared to this stage ahead of time. Lay flat on a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to low. Increase oil to 190u00b0C. When hot, fry chips again, in batches, for a further 2-3 minutes until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towel, place on a tray, in a single layer, and keep warm in the oven while you cook fish.
- Dust flathead fillets in the flour. Dip into the batter, one at a time, allowing excess to drain off. Carefully place into the hot oil. Cook the fish, in batches if necessary, for 3-4 minutes until golden and crisp, then drain on paper towel.
- Remove chips from oven and sprinkle fish and chips with a little more sea salt. Serve immediately with lemon wedges and iceberg lettuce.
Nutritions of Best-ever fish and chipsfatContent: