Fresh Asian herbs, blended with the sharp flavour of lime, bring out the best in this succulent and aromatic fish dish.
The ingredient of Hanoi fried fish
- 100ml rice bran oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3cm piece galangal, (see note) peeled, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 8 x 100g pieces blue-eye trevalla, skinned, pin-boned
- 100g rice vermicelli noodles
- 7 spring onions, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 50g roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- 1/2 cup fresh dill
- 1/2 cup Thai basil
- 8 butter leaf lettuce leaves
- 1/2 red birdseye chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) fish sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
The instruction how to make Hanoi fried fish
- To make sauce, stir all ingredients and 60ml (1/4 cup) water in a bowl.
- To marinate fish, combine 2 tablespoons oil, lime juice, galangal and turmeric in a flat dish. Add fish and turn to coat.
- To make noodle pancakes, soften noodles in warm water for 8 minutes. Drain. Meanwhile, thinly slice 1 onion. Stir flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 60ml (1/4 cup) water in a bowl to a paste, then toss together with noodles and onion. Shape mixture into 4 pancakes. Heat remaining 60ml (1/4 cup) oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Fry pancakes, in 2 batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Drain on paper towel. Reserve pan.
- Heat a clean pan over high heat. Cook fish, in 2 batches, for 2 minutes each side or until almost cooked. Transfer to a tray and rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut remaining 6 onions into 1cm lengths. Heat reserved pan over medium heat. Cook onions and peanuts for 30 seconds. Add herbs. Cook for 15 seconds or until just wilted.
- Divide pancakes and lettuce among plates. Top with fish, scatter with herb mixture and serve with dipping sauce.
Nutritions of Hanoi fried fishfatContent: 601.085 calories
saturatedFatContent: 32 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 5 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 32 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 5 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 43 grams protein
sodiumContent: 104 milligrams cholesterol